This publication presents a synopsis of the latest published research examining violence against women in Australia and its prevention. This summary focuses on:
- the extent of violence against women
- population groups at risk
- the health, economic and other consequences of the problem
- factors that underlie and contribute to violence against women
- themes for action to prevent violence against women from happening in the first place.
Violence against women in Australia Research Summary
This research summary is one of a series which includes data relevant to the burden of disease associated with mental illness and mental health problems, and the three factors influencing mental health and wellbeing that VicHealth focuses on in the Mental Health Plan: social inclusion; freedom from discrimination and violence; and access to economic resources.
The following Mental Health and Wellbeing Research Summary sheets are also available
Ethnic and race-based discrimination as a determinant of mental health and wellbeing
Social Inclusion as a determinant of mental health and wellbeing
Burden of Disease due to mental illness and mental health problems
Access to Economic Resources as a determinant of mental health and wellbeing