Sleep is critical for maintaining good health and wellbeing. Insufficient sleep is linked to the development of chronic diseases such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease, obesity and depression.
Ideas for getting a good night’s sleep:
- Listen to your body clock.
- Make sure your bedroom is restful and comfortable.
- Avoid cigarettes, alcohol, or sleeping pills.
- Avoid using electronic devices within an hour of going to bed
- Exercise regularly, but not within two hours of going to bed
- Relax your mind – learn to meditate.
If you are still suffering from insomnia or waking up feeling tired you may need professional help. Find out more about how to get a good night’s sleep at the Better Health Channel.
Find out more about what VicHealth is doing in this space
A lack of physical exercise can reduce your quality of sleep. Search for local sporting activities and walking groups to help increase your physical activity.Find out more