Are you one of the many Victorians who spend the majority of their day sitting at a desk? Inactivity is bad for your health, so rethink your working day and make some changes to get more active at work.
We know that sitting for long periods is a major risk factor for type 2 diabetes and heart disease, even if you exercise after work.
Ideas for being more active at work:
- get up and walk over to see a colleague instead of emailing them
- aim to get up every couple of hours – to rest your eyes, drink some water, stand up and stretch
- organise a walking or standing meeting
- ask your employer to consider standing work stations
- take a break for a glass of water regularly
- send your print job to the printer furthest from your desk
- take the stairs instead of the lift
- cycle to work
- take your lunch outside and go for a walk, instead of eating at your desk
- stand up when you're on the phone.