Traffic light classification system
The Healthy Choices: food and drink classification guide categorises foods and drinks as GREEN, AMBER or RED based on their nutritional value. The GREEN category is the best choice, the AMBER category is to choose carefully and RED category is to limit or avoid.
What is a nudge?
A ‘nudge’ is designed to encourage consumers to make healthier choices, by changing the placement, product or promotion of healthier food and drinks in preference to unhealthy options. For example, sugary ‘red’ drinks are not displayed in drinks’ fridges.
Local governments should apply if:
- you want to make it easier for local communities to choose water as the drink of choice
- you want to limit unhealthy red drinks
- you own multiple sports and recreation facilities e.g. swimming centres, multi-indoor stadiums with a functioning canteen/kiosk
- you can obtain or have the commitment and support to make water the drink of choice from the Canteen/Kiosk Managers
- you can appoint a dedicated position to oversee the project
- your local community has a strong health need i.e. high obesity rates, poor dental health outcomes