VicHealth today announced the 48 finalists who will be in the running for the state’s highest health promotion honours at the 2017 VicHealth Awards Ceremony in December.
This year’s finalists include community groups, advocacy groups, arts organisations, councils, health care providers, sporting bodies, emergency services and universities.
VicHealth CEO Jerril Rechter said the quality and scope of nominations were outstanding.
“This year’s finalists are to be commended for tackling some of Victoria’s biggest health issues and making a huge difference to the lives of so many Victorians,” Ms Rechter said.
“We received a record number of nominations across 10 categories this year, from small community gardening projects supporting disadvantaged local families to state-wide campaigns confronting challenging health issues like mental illness, cancer and drug abuse.
“It’s inspiring to see so many organisations working with communities and using health promotion to improve the health and wellbeing of Victorians.”
2017 VicHealth Awards - finalists
Promoting healthy eating
- Alfred Health - Nudging Victorians towards healthier options
- Ballarat Health Services: Primary Care and Population Health Advisory Committee (PCPHAC) - ‘Water – the drink of choice’
- Corangamite Shire Council - Sugary Drink Free Summer Initiative
- Geelong Cats - Healthy Heroes – A Geelong Cats and GMHBA joint community initiative
- Monash Health - Kicking Health Goals with Sports Clubs
Encouraging physical activity
- AFL Victoria - F3: Victorian Females Flock to Footy
- Bicycle Network - MIND.BODY.PEDAL.
- City of Casey - City of Casey Nature Play Working Party
- Deakin Child Study Centre, Deakin University - ALLPlay Footy
- Primary Care Connect - Engage!
Preventing tobacco use
- Lakes Entrance Aboriginal Health Association with Quit Victoria - Implementing a shared-care model between Aboriginal Community Controlled Organisations and Aboriginal Quitline
- Peninsula Health partnering with AFL South East and St Kilda Football Club - Creating Healthy Cultures in Senior Sporting Clubs
Preventing harm from alcohol
- Australasian College for Emergency Medicine - Alcohol Harm Snapshot Survey
- Deakin University - Reducing youth alcohol related harm through the Smart Generations program.
- Foundation for Alcohol Research and Education - Booze free sport campaign
- Windana Drug and Alcohol Recovery - Remote Drug and Alcohol Recovery for Southern Otways Region
Improving mental wellbeing
- Ambulance Victoria - Ambulance Victoria’s Mental Health and Wellbeing Strategy 2016-2019
- Arts Centre Melbourne - Arts Wellbeing Collective
- beyondblue - BeyondNow: a suicide prevention safety planning app
- Jewish Care Victoria - The Reach Out, Speak Out campaign
- Kids Thrive - Kids as Catalyst – children leading community change
- Victorian Aboriginal Health Service - #HerTribe Aboriginal Women’s Health and Empowerment Program
Communications in health promotion
- National Heart Foundation Victoria - Don’t trust your tastebuds
- Peninsula Health Community Health - Just click here for better oral health
- Victorian Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation and the Rethink Sugary Drink alliance - Sports drinks are gammin!
- Victorian AIDS Council - Action on Ice
Building health through sport
- Eastern Health - ‘Be the Change!’ 2017
- Merri Health - Count Me In
- Sports Central - Ballarat Cricket Association Under 13 Girls Competition
- St Kilda FC - Pride Game
- YMCA Endeavour Hills - All Abilities Program
Building health through art
- Arts Centre Melbourne - FUN RUN
- Arts Access Vic - Connecting the dots: Art and You – A Planning Guide
- Australian National Veterans Arts Museum - A march to Art: identity
- Bayside City Council - One million stars: preventing violence through community art
- The Dax Centre - ELVA (Enhancing Emotional Literacy through Visual Arts)
- Hepatitis Victoria - Streetshot Youth Health Promotion Program
Improving health equity
- Benalla Health - Benalla Grow Your Own – engaging disadvantaged families with wicking garden beds
- BreastScreen Victoria - Overcoming Barriers to Breast Screening
- Foodbank - Foodbank Victoria’s Farms to Families® Program: Pop-up markets for communities in need
- Gateway Health - Gender Service
- Justice Connect - Working together: a Health Justice Partnership to address elder abuse
- Victorian AIDS Council - Equinox, Gender Diverse Health Service
Research into action
- The Australian Centre for Behavioural Research in Diabetes - Diabetes and Emotional Health: A handbook and toolkit for health professionals supporting adults with type 1 or type 2 diabetes
- Centre for Positive Psychology, Melbourne Graduate School of Education, The University of Melbourne - The Wellbeing Profiler: Measuring and evaluating youth wellbeing for the future
- Federation University and Victoria University - Sport and Recreation Spatial – Sport Participation Research Project
- Turning Point - MAKINGtheLINK
Winners will be announced on the evening of Tuesday 5 December 2017 at the VicHealth Awards Ceremony.
For more information about the 2017 VicHealth Awards, visit www.vichealth.vic.gov.au/awards
Rachel Murphy Senior Media Advisor on 03 9667 1319 /0435 761 732 email@example.com