Select a category from the drop-down menu above to filter results.
Homophobia in sport rife, study finds
The first comprehensive survey of the experience of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender (GLBT) people in community sport in Australia has found that despite improvements in attitudes over the past decade, discrimination and abuse is still widespread.
Government’s preventative strategy leaves health experts wanting
The Alcohol Policy Coalition welcomes the Government’s response to the preventative health taskforce report as a first step in the right direction to fix the $15.3 billion alcohol misuse problem but said it is wanting in critical areas, such as alcohol advertising and taxation reform.
Big fat hole in health reform
Australia’s hospitals will continue to be a hungry beast consuming resources unless restrictions on junk food advertising and taxes on unhealthy food, to combat the drivers of obesity, are addressed - according to Jane Martin, Senior Policy Adviser, Obesity Policy Coalition.
Victorians support alcohol and junk food advertising levy
A VicHealth survey on community attitudes shows strong support for a levy on alcohol and junk food advertising, and for an end to alochol sponsohip in local sports clubs if there are funds to replace lost revenue.
Study: Victorians aren’t aware alcohol causes cancer
VIC: Research released today shows one in two Victorians don’t realise that alcohol causes cancer, prompting the Alcohol Policy Coalition to call for health advisory labels on all alcohol products to better inform consumers.
In the news
- 29.05.2019 Soaring cigarette prices cause Victorian smoking rates to plummet … The Age (Licensed by Copyright Agency)
- 28.05.2019 Mums love soccer fun SOCCER mums are kicking goals in Leongatha. The new initiative – as part of the Gippy Girls Can Campaign – encourages mums and children to...rules and have discussions with their children.” The program is a VicHealth initiative, presented by Football Victoria. In Leongatha, the… The Star
- 27.05.2019 ‘This is about men’s behaviour’: Assistant Commissioner on Courtney Herron’s death Again. On Saturday morning the body of a young woman, Courtney Herron, was found in a Melbourne park. A 27 year old man has been charged...violent is ok? Alarmingly the most recent research from Anrows and VicHealth shows that the attitudes of young people towards women and… Women's Agenda
- 24.05.2019 Young women most vulnerable amid gender equality backlash New research confirms a dangerous reality for young women. Almost one in four young men think women find it flattering to be persistently...pushed him away. National research body ANROWS in partnership with VicHealth have released their latest research report Young Australian’s… Women's Agenda
- 24.05.2019 Proud footballer hopes story will help others Colac Imperials footballer Ruby Manson says she hopes opening up about her experiences would help people struggling with their sexuality to...I answer to no one else but me.” FIGHTING HOMOPHOBIA A VicHealth survey of more than 3700 football fans found nearly three out of five… Colac Herald
- 22.05.2019 Young people don't understand how texting can turn ugly, report says For Romy Harwood, the tipping point in her relationship came during a family dinner when she saw 15 text messages and 27 missed calls on...… ABC News
- 22.05.2019 One in seven young Australians say rape justified if women change their mind, study finds Survey data reveals attitudes of Australian youth on relationship control and gender roles… Australia News - The Guardian
- 22.05.2019 One in seven young people think men can force sex if a woman changes her mind … The Age (Licensed by Copyright Agency)
- 21.05.2019 Here's What Australians Are Getting Wrong About Consent “I knew it wasn’t OK but he didn’t see the big deal,” she said.… BuzzFeed_Australia
- 03.05.2019 Halt the salt in processed food 75% of the salt in the Australian diet comes from processed and packaged foods, and consumers are eating almost double the daily...… Food Processing
- 27.04.2019 New water stations installed at Geelong’s GMHBA Stadium will be good for health, environment and hip pocket … Geelong Advertiser (Licensed by Copyright Agency)
- 20.04.2019 Fast-food salt content alarms A local dietician has joined hordes of others in the fight against the huge amount of salt packed into children’s food. A joint study by...of others in the fight against the huge amount of salt packed into children’s food. A joint study by the George Institute for Global Health, VicHealth and the Heart Foundation found fast food meals targetted at children could contain enough salt… Tatura Guardian
- 18.04.2019 Top Spin encourages action against alcohol influencers An alarming number of Instagram’s most sought-after influencers featured alcoholic drinks in their posts without disclosing sponsorship...young people who like or follow alcohol brands on social media are twice as likely to drink at risky levels than those who don’t.” In response, VicHealth has launched a competition titled “Top Spin” which encourages young people to “call out” alc… Surf Coast Times
- 18.04.2019 Just 10 per cent of drinkers consume more than half the country’s booze One in 10 drinkers account for more than half of Australia’s annual alcohol consumption, new research has revealed. Researchers from...study by health promotion foundation VicHealth highlighted the lucrative but largely undeclared relationship between Australia’s top Instagram influencers and the alcohol industry. “The alcohol industry will use any tactics to sneak into the live… The New Daily
- 15.04.2019 The body inclusive bushwalking group changing plus size women's lives "My belly may jiggle and wobble, but give me a mountain and I’ll climb it with these strong legs of mine.”in Ocean Grove along the Great Ocean Road in Victoria. Since founding her business in April 2016, she's attracted women aged 25 through to 70. VicHealth supported Richelle’s work to pilot a body-positive hiking group for women in 2017 as part of… Body+Soul
Updates from Meltwater News