There are many barriers that reduce or stop women and girls from being active. The ‘fear of judgement’ is one such barrier common to all life stages. While this issue is complex, the good news is there are many steps that can be taken to help females overcome barriers to activity, so they can lead happier, healthier lives.
Download: Females and physical activity (PDF, 182 KB)
Research shows that:
- more than two-thirds of adult Australian females are sedentary or have low activity levels
- fewer females than males do the recommended amount of physical activity each week
- one in five females does no physical activity in a typical week
- physical activity levels continue to drop as Victorian females age
- females face more barriers to being physically active than males do.