VicHealth is proud to announce the finalists for its 2013 Victorian Health Promotion Awards.
VicHealth announced the finalists of the 2013 Victorian Health Promotion Foundation Awards today, showcasing some of the finest health promotion projects and programs in Victoria.
VicHealth CEO, Jerril Rechter said the breadth and level of creativity and innovation represented in the nominations highlights why Victoria is considered a world leader in health promotion.
“We received a high number of quality nominations this year, ranging from community-based fruit and vegetable projects to state-wide alcohol awareness and reduction campaigns,” Ms Rechter said.
“It’s fantastic to see so many organisations working with communities to enable people to not only be free from disease, but live in a state of physical, mental and social wellbeing.”
Finalists will join their peers and dignitaries in government and health promotion at the awards ceremony on Tuesday 3 December, where the winners of the nine categories will be revealed.
The finalists in each category are:
Promoting healthy eating
• Bass Coast Shire Council - Retail fruit and vegetable project in Bass Coast Shire
• Deakin University - Skills-based and fiscal approaches for promoting healthy eating among women and their families
• Victorian Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation (VACCHO) - Facilitating healthy eating policy development in Aboriginal organisations
Encouraging physical activity
• City of Whittlesea - Koori Beat It
• Disabled Surfer Association Mornington Peninsula (DSAMP) - DSAMP Let’s go surfing days
• Mount Alexander Shire Council - Healthy Active Living in Mount Alexander
• Wellington Shire Council - Boosting Physical Activity in Wellington Shire
Preventing tobacco use
• No shortlist for this award. The winner of this category will be announced at the awards ceremony
Preventing harm from alcohol
• Australian Drug Foundation - CAAN (Community Alcohol Action Network)
• FebFast - FebFast
• RMIT - Drinking-related Lifestyles Research
Improving mental wellbeing
• Moreland City Council - ALLPLAY
• VicRoads - L2P
• Wimmera Uniting Care – RARE – Rural and Remote Engagement
Communications in health promotion
• Cancer Council Victoria - Switch off Solariums
• Gannawarra Shire Council - Health Lifestyle, Healthy Community Project
• Quit Victoria- Last Dance
• Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission - Anti-Hate Campaign
Building health through sports
• Centre for Multicultural Youth - BoySpace
• Rumbalara Football Netball Club - Rumbalara Football Netball Club
• Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission - Fair go, sport!
• Western Bulldogs Football Club - SpiritWest CALD sports programs
Building health through arts
• Black Arm Band - Black Arm Band
• Victorian AIDS Council/Gay Men’s Health Centre - Being Brendo
• ILBIJERRI Theatre Company - Body Armour
Knowledge and understanding
• La Trobe University - Healthy By Design – a rural perspective
• Obesity Policy Coalition - Examination of nutrition labelling and consumer food selection
• Women’s Health Goulburn North East - Family Violence after natural disaster research – Breaking new ground
• Young and Well Cooperative Research Centre - Young and Well National Survey
Phone VicHealth on (03) 9667 1315
Email - [email protected]