Four design teams have been shortlisted for the inaugural Victorian Design Challenge, which asks participants to create design solutions responding to the question: ‘how can we build resilience in young people?’
A joint initiative between VicHealth and the NGV, the Victorian Design Challenge $30,000 prize will fund the development and prototyping of the winning team’s design idea.
The Victorian Design Challenge was introduced in 2017 as a new component of the State Government’s annual Victorian Design Program. Each year, the Victorian Design Challenge invites members of Victoria’s design community to form multi-disciplinary teams and use design innovations to target social and environmental issues.
This year’s Victorian Design Challenge theme responded to a recent VicHealth study that highlights the debilitating effects of loneliness and anxiety in young Victorians.
The shortlisted teams will pitch their ideas to jury members during a live, public presentation at the NGV on Saturday 2 June 2018.
Tony Ellwood, Director, NGV said, ‘The Victorian Design Challenge presents a valuable opportunity for designers to respond to vital concerns surrounding young people’s mental health and wellbeing. It also demonstrates the integral role design plays in addressing critically important social and environmental issues that affect our community.’
The shortlisted teams for the Victorian Design Challenge 2018 are:
- Failure Place – Team Leader: Simon McPherson, Architect/Urbanist
- Future Peoples – A partnership between The Future Ensemble & Local Peoples. Team Leader: Local Peoples Branding and Design Agency
- Local time – Team Leader: Matthew Dwyer, Graduate Architect
- Occupied! – Team Leader: Matt Calder, Student of Landscape Architecture
The members of the Victorian Design Challenge 2018 jury are:
- Simone LeAmon (Jury Chair) – The Hugh Williamson Curator of Contemporary Design and Architecture, NGV
- James Tutton – Founder, Smiling Mind
- Dr Liam Fennessy – Associate Dean of the Industrial Design Program, RMIT University
- Irene Verins – Manager, Mental Wellbeing, VicHealth
- Hanann Al Daqqa – Youth Worker
The live presentation of the Victorian Design Challenge shortlisted teams designs will be held in the Clemenger BBDO Auditorium at the NGV on Saturday 2 June 2018. For more information, please visit NGV.MELBOURNE/VDC2018
The NGV Department of Contemporary Design and Architecture is generously supported by The Hugh D. T. Williamson Foundation.
Marion Joseph, Associate Director, Media and Public Affairs | 03 8620 2346 |firstname.lastname@example.org
Meg Carroll, Senior Coordinator, Media and Public Affairs | 03 8620 2347 | email@example.com